Tuesday, July 1, 2008

If your concept is great, it does not matter as much as your experience!

I was in a meeting today with a city official who is in love with the concept of Vespa sharing. As I walked him through our presentation my VP's of Operations noticed that I was loosing him. So he interjected and said "You are preaching to the Choir! We see the value of a service like this and we understand the concept. I am more interested in you, your back ground and experience."

I was happy to hear he was on board but understood his desire to get to know who I was as a person and as a leader. So I walked him through a brief history of my "Local boy makes good and goes off to college", shared with him some of my college stories and we bonded because we shared a common thread, the college experience. The grandeur of a high level collegiate program and all the hype that surrounds it. We both have had a chance to travel and in the end he cut to the chase and offered an olive branch.

Normally big cities are not that easy to crack open and most of the time things that are good for the city take a long time to get to the public. With some luck and good old fashioned elbow grease. This program will have a great jump start and be the model for cities around the country.

No comments: